Tuesday, October 8, 2013

A Leap of Faith: Re-thinking disability soldiery and peer support (I WENT SKYDIVING)




**I wrote a couple of articles for the newsletter at work. I have adapted them for the blog**              
           
 This summer, I had a fantastic once in a life time opportunity to complete a tandem skydiving jump. I jumped as part of a fundraiser for a great organization called AboutFace.  AboutFace is a charity which supports adults with facial differences. The fundraiser was specifically to fund their Trailblazers camps. This is an outdoor youth retreat for youth with facial differences to learn advocacy, leadership skills, and connect with their peers.

Sky diving was a breathtaking experience, but above all the opportunity gave me pause to think about disability solidarity and the notion of peer support. I became involved in the Leap of Faith fundraiser because my friend Colleen Wheatley works for AboutFace and has a facial difference. Over the years I have been struck many times by the parallels between having a facial difference and living with a disability. I have cerebral palsy and use a wheelchair. I often find myself speaking with Colleen about various political and social issues that pertain to people with disabilities and we share a common understanding. We both have had some amazing experiences (such as jumping out of a plane) in life but have also negotiated marginalization and discrimination.  I value my friendship with Colleen as we have been able to support and celebrate each other in our lived embodiment. Peer support has taught me “disability pride” and serves as a reminder that I am ALWAYS valid and ALWAYS deserve to participate. When I feel degraded Colleen’s sense of dignity and sense of purpose invigorates me and reminds me that oppression is systemic and not inborn within in me. Society’s view of disability, not myself or my disability, is the real issue.

I am happy to support Trailbralzer’s camp for youth with facial difference because I think it is important that people with disabilities have space of their own choosing to come together to both celebrate the nuances of their disability experience and garner support and strength to negotiate the social terrain that has yet to be flattened.  I invest my free time in causes such as Trail Blazers/AboutFace because it is my personal belief that strong disability soldiery leads to strong self-advocates and sense of self.  
me in free fall with Sky dive instructor Sam (Same name) at Skydive Burnaby

Photo credit to: Rich O'Neil at Skydive Burnaby www.skydiveburnaby.com. Please do not lift or use this picture with out expressed permission from myself and Skydive Burnaby

Myself and my friend Colleen

This photo credit goes to my mom. Please do not use this image without my permission


No comments:

Post a Comment