Friday, January 11, 2013

I Just Want to Go Out: Thinking About Accesss and Social Attitudes




Hello,

Given the fact that the idea of the blog is an East and West perspective; I thought it might be interesting to do a post occasionally on some of the resources I have found useful as disabled 20 something (well at least for a few more months).  I am in Toronto right now. I am blown away at how difficult it is to find accessible places to eat, and drink.  I find this interesting and frustrating all at the same time.
I find a lack of accessible social space really interesting on two levels:

#1

I question what happens to the social position of disability (what people think of disability) when spaces or activities we commonly use for social gatherings (dates, parties, etc) are inaccessible?   I colleague of mine once commented: “we can build ramps and put in elevators but, we can’t legislate attitudes”. I thought this was an interesting comment. I understand that there is no way to control one’s opinion. However, I often think the connection between what seems like common ignorance and a lack of access are linked. For example: I often meet people whom are surprised to see me out at a pub or night club. This is often denoted by the greeting “it’s so good to see you out” and some sort of gesture to my wheelchair. This is ignorant! This comment irritates me beyond belief.  If you think about it in a broader context though “it is good to see me out”. Many (Not all) of the pubs and clubs in Toronto are inaccessible, or are accessible but, the bathroom is down stairs.  So Yes it is good to see me out because it is likely I have had to traverse a  set of stairs, or refrain from using the bathroom just for the opportunity to attend that social space. It is because of this lack of physical access that I think the amount of visibly  disabled patrons is low. I question how this affects social attitudes. If one is never seen, the assumption or “story” that emerges is that, that population just does not exist or would rather not attend the particular space. We can think about this for other marginalized groups. Think of  when leaders of organizations or communities announce that there are no people in their community who identify as LGBTQ? People only become visible when you create space both socially and literally for them.  If the spaces that are commonly used for social gatherings and social events: where we meet people, where we go on dates, are inaccessible how do we imagine disabled people as part of the social fabric? Recently I went out with a young man who said he would choose the restaurant and call to see if it was accessible.  He struggled to find a place that was accessible. When we finally met up. He was exasperated at how difficult it was, and annoyed that after considerable effort we were still eating somewhere, where I could not pee. To paraphrase he asked “where do you eat?”, “Where do you go on dates?”. When we deny someone access to a common space we not only physically exclude them but, we exclude them from our social discourse. This breeds ignorance and confusion about how someone exists in the world. 

#2.
  I think it’s interesting that when we commonly talk about access we talk about the built environment. I know I have just spent considerable time reflecting on the built environment but, my point is that I think when we think about the built environment we must think about it in concert with other factors of access. Not only is the build environment an issue but, financial access to typical activities is an issue for disabled people. If we stay on the topic of a night out on the town. Accessible transportation is often more expensive, or more time consuming than typical forms of transportation. Disabled people often use their own personal resources to negotiate an inaccessible infrastructure. For example: maintaining a personal car despite living somewhere with a subway  (that is only partially accessible or not at all), or investing in a power or all terrain wheelchair to handle snowy conditions. All of this takes a toll on personal finances if it is even possible financially. Moreover often relatively inexpensive activities for able bodied people are often costly to adapt. For example many of my friends run. Most of them bought a pair of mid-price running shoes (about 100 bucks) and downloaded a “learn to run app”. on their phones. If I want to “run” I have to invest in a racing chair and seek out a club to teach me.  My point being that accessibility is multi-faceted and can be more than ramps. 

These are two of the reasons I find questions of access so fascinating. I think access aids in social imaging of disability. Moreover, I think it is more than just ramps. It speaks to the matrix  of  issues that disabled people negotiate.

I find the lack of access frustrating because, while it is interesting to theorize….

I JUST WANT TO GO OUT!!!

My solution: well not comprehensive is to head to the blogousphere (is that a word?) and check out “Tasting Toronto On Wheels”. I really like this blog.  The author Marlene Benedicto a journalist and food critic who uses a wheelchair, reviews Toronto hotspots for their food and access! Check it out: 

www.tastingtorontoonwheels.me

NB: Many of my ideas about social imagination, social postilion and notions of creating space are animated by the work of  Dr. Tanya Titchkosky. Much of it influenced by the book:



Titchkosky, T. (2007). Reading & writing Disability Differently: The Textured Life of
Embodiment. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.



5 comments:

  1. That's a wicked idea - start my own blog for restaurant reviews! I've suggested it to Gilchrist before - he doesn't even answer me. (He authors an annual restaurant review in Calgary + surrounding areas like Banff). OH they would hate to see me arrive at their door!! HA!

    I too still get that comment Sam - believe it or not after all these years and school programs that were supposedly going to change attitudes of the next generation - they still say ignorant things like - good to see you out! Lets see who can come up with the BEST witty response - come on peeps - what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog Jo and Sam! We have a trip coming up to Toronto in Feb, so I will make use of the restaurant review page for sure, thanks for pointing me to it Sam. I'm also testing posting a comment anonymously (it's Lisa).

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many times, I've seen issues of access play out badly, some of them with you Jo. Of course, when we were young (and I was stronger) we'd buck access every chance we could. The stairs at Ontario place’s Cinisphere; Cornelius', messing around with a drunk guy, "I've been saved!" I try to respond with that kind of power and play since I need access of a different kind.
    Living with a Non-Visible Disability, I have my own set of issues. The problem is, I look fine, and chances are, since I'm out doing something social, I look mighty fine. My challenge begins with an over-dependency on another person's point of view, and we all know how that can go.
    No one can tell by looking at me, that I have an NVD. This can make considered service an event(I hear you already, "But it shouldn't be an event!"), but just as often, the alternative bitch-slap of ignorance comes on a night, out of the blue, where all I want to do is be out in the world, and have some fun with my friends.
    I have Crohn's disease. And even when it shows, like when I’m suffering extreme weight-loss, IBD is not the first place someone's judgment normally goes.
    Most people know IBD's as pooping diseases, but they effect more than digestion. What goes out, must first come in and therein lies some of our biggest issues, since eating the wrong thing at the wrong time can cost us future freedoms.
    My limited diet makes me picky about where I will eat out. Asking for menu changes is always a little awkward. Additionaly, I have to hope that the wait staff understands my request enough make it to the kitchen intact. Asking once is hard enough, repeating a request due to error, is sometimes too much. I remain very deft with a fork and I don't eat out often. The last time I went out with friends, and asked for my food prepared a certain way, the manager himself refused. I was blown away, and we left immediately. Thankfully I was out with a Crohnie, so at least I didn't have to explain anything as I may have to do with other friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ... Continued...

    As big, if not bigger challenge for me is seating at entertainment venues. Specifically, when I go to club shows to see cheap live music, most of it very good, I need to sit. My standing time is about fifteen minutes. I like an intimate atmosphere, I like to flirt with, I mean see, the band, plus these are affordable.

    Designated seating even for wheel chair in many Toronto clubs is not a given, which may be why I don't see many wheels when I got out; I this find disappointing, but also telling.
    When I do go see a show, often I wind up tucked in a corner, in one venue that puts the stage out of my eyeline, or, up against a rail or wall. Which is usually where I wind up, assuming I can get them to provide a stool. I have been refused this small request too, and lost 40.00 because my husband and I left the venue, which we will never return to. I am told to call first, which I try to do, usually the day before. Of course I reach voice mail, so I email. I've had that effort be worthwhile only a couple of times..

    So walking in with my needs unseen, I wing it, and hope for the best. Last summer, when I was refused a stool on the grounds that the staff at the venue thought they were "grandfathered out" of AOD's service protocols, "We don't even have a ramp." some jerk said as if this justified his position. Thisthe absolute worst experience I have ever had. I pointed out not only the error of that thinking also the pettiness of refusing such a simple request,
    Always where ever I put that stool, since only one club has created a demarcated area with "velvet rope" accommodated seating, I am the still point in a crowed and within a very short period of time the path comes to me. I've been known to kick people after the 10th person has walked into me.
    One last thing about not being able to stand long: this is problem for lining up for events, and shopping at Christmas. I have been known to ask for a chair when the line is too long, but thanks to online buying, I can now avoid the worst of that. It is a mixed blessing, like getting out can often be for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've touched on so many important issues here.

    Living in a small town, I know that I often get frustrated with the lack of accessible businesses and the challenge of no public transportation (which affects everyone, not just disabled people). But city environments can also be very, very inaccessible as well (and not just in the physical sense of the word), can't they?

    I think that what's very frustrating about it for me is that many of the things that can improve overall accessibility for disabled people immensely don't have to cost a whole lot. The changes to physical structure of buildings are expensive, yes, but a lot of smaller, less expensive changes make a big difference: keeping aisles clear, floors free of snow and water in the winter, low shelving, clear signage with big lettering, a simple "Did you find everything that you were looking for?" with appropriate follow-up...and of course, an outside ramp has to be kept clear of snow and ice in winter or it's useless! (Pet peeve...)

    Thank you for the book recommendation, the website for accessible dining in Toronto, and for linking to my blog! I will return the favour.

    - Sarah

    ReplyDelete